Dean Smith, DC, PhD. My research is focused on how chiropractic and exercise affect perception and action as well as human performance. I am also the host of the research oriented Chiropractic Science podcast.
Publications and Professional Affiliations
1. Smith DL, Walsh MS. Relationship between backpack load location, sex, anthropometric and body composition factors with postural sway in healthy young adults. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association. 2023;67(2):117-126.
2. Malaya CA, Parikh PJ, Smith DL, Riaz A, Chandrasekaran S, Layne CS. Effects of simulated hypo-gravity on lower limb kinematic and electromyographic variables during anti-gravitational treadmill walking. Front Physiol. 2023 Jun 8;14:1141015.
3. Schueren S, Hunger H, Pham H, Smith DL, Layne C, Malaya CA. Immediate effect of lower extremity joint manipulation on a lower extremity somatosensory illusion: a randomized, controlled crossover clinical pilot study. Front Hum Neurosci. 2022 Nov 8;16:1011997.
4. Smith DL, Olding K, Malaya CA, McCarty M, Haworth J, Pohlman KA. The influence of flexion distraction spinal manipulation on patients with lumbar spinal stenosis: A prospective, open-label, single-arm, pilot study. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2022 Oct;32:60-67.
5. Smith DL, Haworth JL, Brooks EK, Cousins JM. Postural Control, Dual Task Performance and Executive Function Following an Ultramarathon. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 2021 Sep 2:315125211044351.
6. Malaya CA, Haworth J, Pohlman KA, Smith DL. Immediate impact of extremity manipulation on dual task performance: a randomized, crossover clinical trial. Chiropr Man Therap. 2021 Feb 5;29(1):6.
7. Malaya C, Pohlman K, Powell C, Haworth C, Smith DL. Impact of extremity manipulation on postural sway characteristics: a preliminary, randomized cross-over study. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2020 Aug 14.
8. Walsh M, Church C, Hoffmeister A, Smith D, Haworth J. Validation of a Portable Force Plate for Evaluating Postural Sway. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 2020 Jul 28:31512520945092.
9. Smith DL, Haug MJ, Walsh MS. The effect of posture on neck proprioception and head/neck stabilization in asymptomatic participants. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association. 2019;63(2):100-110.
10. DeVocht JW, Vining R, Smith DL, Long C, Jones T, Goertz CJT. Effect of chiropractic manipulative therapy on reaction time in special operations forces military personnel: a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2019;20(1):5.
- American Chiropractic Association
- Ohio State Chiropractic Association
- American Association of Clinical Anatomists
- Ohio Public Health Association
- International Federation of Sports Chiropractic
- American Chiropractic Association Sports Council
- International Society for Ecological Psychology
- International Society of Motor Control
Immediate Impact of Extremity Manipulation on Dual Task Performance: A Randomized, Crossover Study
The Influence of Spinal Manipulation on Patients with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: A Pilot Study
Chiropractic Science Podcast
Chiropractic Science gets the word out about chiropractic research. Chiropractors, patients and the public will learn about chiropractic research from the experts who are doing the research.